Those of us fighting to leave a planet that is livable for future generations…..the fight is still on!
By Linn Smith
April 27, 2017–New data put out by the EPA shows the current trend toward global warming….it’s not improving! Our planet is continuing to heatup!
2016 Climate Facts
* 2016 marks three consecutive years of record breaking temperatures for our planet.
* Our planet experienced 8 consecutive months, January to August, of record heat. The highest since recording began in 1880.
* The average temperature of land and ocean surfaces was 1.69 degrees F above the 20th century average.
* The 2016 global ocean surface was highest on record–1.35 degrees F above average.
*The 2016 global land temperature was the highest on record–2.57 degrees F above average.
* North America had the warmest year on record.
* The area of Arctic sea ice was depleted to a new record low since recording began in 1979.
* The average mass of Antarctic sea ice was 2nd smallest since recording began in 1979.
* All 6 continents have recorded record breaking temperatures in 2016.
The Trend Continues for 2017
* The global average temperatures over land and ocean surfaces for March 2017 were the 2nd highest for the month since recording began, 1.89 degrees F above 20th century average of 54.9 degrees F.
* The year-to-date global temperature was the second warmest on record.
Other Climate Facts
* To date, all 16 years of the 21st century were among the warmest ever recorded. The 5 warmest have been since 2010.
* The average annual temperature for ocean surfaces around the world was 1.35 degrees F (.75C) higher than 20th century average.
So those of us fighting to leave a planet that is livable for future generations…..the fight is still on!